- Place perishable food in the refrigerator for storage immediately after delivery.
- Left-over food must be refrigerated as soon as possible.
- Store raw meat (including poultry) in a separate refrigerator, otherwise store at the bottom of the refrigerator so it cannot drip or spill onto other food.
- Stacked food must be covered at all times.
- Do not cover food with tea towels.
- Ensure good stock rotation.
- Do not overload the refrigerator. The air inside must be able to circulate.
- Refrigerator temperature should be at or below 4ºC.
- Freezer temperatures should be below -18ºC.
- Defrost food in the refrigerator.
- Keep the refrigerator clean and defrost regularly.
- Record daily temperatures in the Food logbook example (PDF 43KB).
- Refrigeration and freezing does not destroy germs.
- Food still ‘goes off’ in the refrigerator.
- Refrigeration and freezing is just a temporary safe storage method.